In 1890, Mount Zion Christian Church was planted in the Eclipse neighborhood in northern Suffolk, VA. Over a hundred years later, it consisted of a handful of senior citizens, who prayed that their building would once again be full of families with children, and that their congregation would once again send missionaries around the world.
In 1986, Grace Fellowship was planted just down the road. By 1995, they had grown, and were looking for a permanent place to meet.
In 1995, by the gracious providence of God, Mount Zion Christian Church and Grace Fellowship joined together. The new church was an answer to Mount Zion's prayer for new energy, and it was an answer to Grace Fellowship's prayer for a permanent meeting space. The new church was called Mount Zion Fellowship.
Mount Zion Fellowship has been pastored by:
In 2008, Mount Zion Fellowship changed its name to James River Community Church.